Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Round Review - 3/11/2015 - Tega Cay Golf Club - Cove Course (Fort Mill, SC)

Despite calling for rain earlier in the week, yesterday turned out to be an amazing day.  It was somehwere about 82 degrees and no rain until later in the afternoon.  Of course, I had to run out to play at least nine holes... so I went to my local favorite, Tega Cay and played the nine hole Cove Course.  

I put together a vlog, but I ran out of camera space by the 7th hole... so, I only got part of it.  But, if you prefer to watch that... it's below.




Hole #1 - Par 3 - 186 Yards

There was a little bit of a breeze into me and from the right, but the pin was up front, so I hit a 5 iron.  It started out on a good line and ended up just about pin-high and 7 feet from the hole.  Best shot I've played to this hole so far.  I missed the birdie putt on the low side and cleaned up from 2 feet for an opening par.  

Hole #2 - Par 5 - 448 Yards

I've mentioned in the past that this hole eats me alive.  I know that anything more than a hybrid is going into a back yard out of bounds... and if I catch the hybrid correctly, that's going to be long, too.  So... I hit a 4 iron that I sliced a little bit, but it cleared the corner and found the left side of the fairway.  I still had about 255 to the hole, and no shot of getting there, so I laid back with my 6 iron.  It wasn't the greatest shot and ended up about 110 or so from the hole.  A bad pitching wedge from the fairway floated well right and into a trap.  I got out of there, but spun the ball back off the green.  I putted up to about 7 feet, missed that and settled for a tap-in double bogey.

Hole #3 - Par 4 - 428 Yards

I had been hitting a straight ball with my driver when I played on Saturday, so I set up for the same thing... but I sliced it.  Luckily, it hit up on a hill and stayed in play.  I had about 185 or so to go, but the ball was above my feet.  I hit a 4 iron that cut around some trees... and I lost sight of it.  I thought it was going to be in the right rough.  Luckily, when I got up there, my ball was in the fairway just short of the bunker in front of the green.  I hit a very poor, very thin pitch that scooted through the bunker and onto the green.  2 putts from 12 feet for my bogey.

Hole #4 - Par 4 - 376 Yards

I despise this hole.  For such a short hole, it gives me fits.  Off the tee, I hit a hybrid that found the right side of the fairway.  I then cut a 4 iron around the trees in front of me, but it didn't reach the green.  I pitched on to about 11 feet above the hole.  My putt burned the edge, almost stopped there... and then ran all the way off the front of the green.  I putted from the fairway back to about 2 feet and then tapped in for my double bogey.

Hole #5 - Par 4 - 310 Yards

I tend to find the left side of this fairway a lot... so I aimed down the right side... and promptly hit a fade 4 iron into the fairway bunker.  My 9 iron out of there from about 120 was fat... and then my sand wedge from just about 60 yards was thin and over the green.  The first mistake helped to create the second mistake.  I chipped on, very short of the hole, about 16 feet away.  The bogey putt was low the entire time, but another 2 foot putt gave me a second consecutive double bogey.

Hole #6 - Par 4 - 312 Yards

I got a great break on this hole.  I pulled my tee shot left and it hammered a tree.  I never saw it come down, so I hit a provisional.  It was a BAD provisional.  It ended up in the right rough below a tree, just behind a bunker.  Luckily my original tee shot had kicked directly into the fairway and I had about 68 yards up the hill to the pin.  I pulled it way left... it hit the cart path and ended up on some mud in front of a tree.  My chip was thin and ran off the green.  My next chip got to about 9 feet away, but I missed the putt and ended up making a THIRD straight double bogey.

Hole #7 - Par 3 - 195 Yards

I love playing this hole because it's probably the prettiest on the Cove Course.  The tee is elevated well above the green, so even though it's fairly long... it doesn't play that long.  My 5 iron was pushed right and settled into the rough to the right of the green.  I hit another poor chip shot that ended up 10 feet from the hole and I FINALLY made a putt, giving me another par.

Hole #8 - Par 3 - 149 Yards

The last time I played this hole, the pin was in the same exact spot.  It didn't bode well for me.  I hit a poor 9 iron that got caught in the wind and bounced off the hill to the right of the green and kicked towards a hazard.  It stayed out, but I didn't have a good swing.  I kind of hacked the ball out of there and it stuck on the green, but 25 feet from the hole... downhill all the way.  If I went even an inch long, it was going off the green.  Of course, I did... and the ball just rolled and rolled.  I chipped back on to about 8 feet... missed the putt and then tapped in from less than a foot for another triple bogey.  4 of the last 5 holes had been triples... mostly due to poor chipping and putting.

Hole #9 - Par 5 - 488 Yards

I hit what felt like one of the purest drives of the year for me.  I didn't feel the ball leave the club.  It was on a line to the right side of the fairway.  I had about 220 up the hill to the green.  My 3 wood was tugged a little left and clipped a tree branch.  That kept it short, but left me with an easy, uphill pitch.  I hit that up to about 13 feet from the hole and burned the edge on my birdie try.  I tapped in to end my round with a par.  

It wasn't bad... but it should have been 3 - 5 shots better.  I like playing this course because it lets me hit a lot of different shots and really isn't as easy as the scorecard would indicate.  I hate playing this course because it messes with my head.  I'll keep playing here every chance I get.  It keeps me ready for the tournaments.

Round Stats

  • Score - 47
  • Penalty Strokes - 0
  • Putts - 19
  • Fairways - 4 of 6
  • Greens in Regulation - 2 of 9
  • Up and Downs - 1 of 4
  • Sand Saves - 0 of 1

No comments:

Post a Comment