Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Round Review - 8/26/2015 - Palisades Country Club (Charlotte, NC)

Coming off my less-than-stellar tournament round on Saturday, I had a round scheduled for Wednesday with a friend.  At the last minute, I called up the club where our next tournament round is and asked if we could get on there.  The guy in the shop informed me that the course had just been aerated, so the greens were sandy and bumpy... but, we got a great price ($35) and decided it was worth it just to get out on the course so I had some kind of an idea as to the layout before I play the tournament on September 19th.

We arrived at the same time and after paying, we spent a few minutes on the range and the practice green before heading to the first tee.

Game Golf Link

Scorecard 

Hole #1 - Par 4 - 362 Yards

My first swing of the day was a horrible one.  I didn't remember to set up to the ball how I had been and I hit a horrible push-slice into the woods up the right side.  My provisional found the fairway, but was a very weak shot.  My 9 iron was equally weak and faded into the right bunker in front of the green.  I got out, but the ball got stuck in the fringe, so I putted from there to about 9 feet and made that for a triple bogey to open my round.

Hole #2 - Par 4 - 408 Yards

Just like the previous hole, my tee shot started right and continued to go right.  Again, my provisional found the fairway and left me about 170 yards to the hole.  My 5 iron was a little low and right and just barely made it over the bunker, but it left me an awkward stance.  My pitch round the green, but left me about 12 feet.  I needed 2 putts from there for another triple bogey.

Hole #3 - Par 5 - 531 Yards

I made a mess of this hole.  My tee shot was pulled left and hit a tree and disappeared.  My provisional was also left, but I thought it would be okay.  It ended up out of bounds.  My third tee shot found the fairway... then I topped a 5 iron and blasted a hybrid just left of the green.  My pitch from there settled to 3 feet and I tapped in for a quadruple bogey 9.

Hole #4 - Par 3 - 164 Yards

I hit what I thought was a good shot here, but it ended up being long and landed in the trap at the back of the green.  I blasted out of the trap to about 12 feet but couldn't make the par putt, so I settled for a bogey.  This was my best hole of the round to this point and gave me a glimmer of hope that I'd be able to salvage something.

Hole #5 - Par 4 - 322 Yards

When I arrived to this tee, it appeared to be much shorter than 322 yards.  There was a bunker up in the fairway at about 220 yards, and if you cleared that, it was all downhill to the green.  My tee shot started left of that bunker, hit at the top of the hill and then bounced down to about 40 yards short of the hole.  My pitch shot from there checked up immediately and left me a tough 16 footer for birdie.  That missed short and left and I tapped in for a par.

Hole #6 - Par 5 - 496 Yards

Another par 5, another disaster.  My front foot slipped on my swing and I almost hit myself with the ball when it hit the inside of the hosel of my driver.  That ball shot off into the hazard, so I teed up again and hit a weak shot out into the right rough.  I hit a 5 iron from there, laying up short of the hazard crossing the fairway.  I then hit a decent wedge that landed in the fringe, leaving me a quick downhill putt.  I sent that 9 feet past the hole and needed 2 putts from there for a triple bogey.

Hole #7 - Par 4 - 346 Yards

I hooked my tee shot from here into the hazard, teed up another and put it into the fairway.  My 8 iron from there was dead-on but just a bit short, leaving me a 15 footer.  I couldn't make that as it died just shy of the hole, so I tapped in for a double bogey.

Hole #8 - Par 3 - 167 Yards

I actually thought I hit a really good shot here with my 7 iron from the tee, but it went well over the green and left me in a settled down, thick lie.  I hit a decent shot that got caught up on the wrong tier and I ended up three-putting from 40 feet for another double bogey.

Hole #9 - Par 4 - 385 Yards

Finally!  A tee shot that didn't find trouble!  It hit me on this tee that I hadn't been setting up properly, so I fixed my setup and hit a very good drive pretty much exactly where I aimed.  It left me stuck between clubs, so I tried to hit a soft pitching wedge, but I hit it TOO soft and it came up just short of the green.  I pitched to about 6 feet and made that down the slope coming back for par.

** NOTE - I hadn't played well at all, and I managed to completely bomb on the par 5's on the front side.  I ended up posting a 54 there, which, all things considered, wasn't as horrible as I had thought it would be.  I feel like, going back in a few weeks, my goal will be to shoot about a 46 on that side.

Hole #10 - Par 3 - 164 Yards

I hit a decent 6 iron from the tee that ended up just long and stuck on the fringe.  I putted down the hill from there to about 3 feet and tapped in for a second consecutive par. 

Hole #11 - Par 4 - 346 Yards

I hit another pretty good drive here.  It managed to catch the left side of the fairway and left me an uphill approach from about 120.  My 9 iron faded on me, but caught the green and left me a birdie attempt from long range.  I missed that, but made the 3 foot putt coming back for a third straight par.

Hole #12 - Par 5 - 502 Yards

I'm not very comfortable on dogleg left holes, which this hole is.  I hit a very solid drive that drew just over the trees and wound up in the middle of the fairway.  According to Game Golf, it was a 309 yard drive, which was my furthest of the year.  This left me just about 145 to the hole, down a slope.  My 8 iron landed just right of the pin and spun back down to about 9 feet away.  My eagle putt hit a bunch of holes and didn't fall, but left me a tap in birdie.

Hole #13 - Par 3 - 183 Yards

Sitting at 1 under for my last 4 holes, I was feeling great when I got to this tee.  But, then I realized how tough this hole was.  It's all carry and slightly uphill.  My 4 iron from the tee was pulled, and hooked and disappeared.  I dropped because it crossed the hazard and put my 7 iron onto the left side of the green.  From 38 feet, I needed 3 putts for a triple bogey.  My streak of solid holes ended at 4. 

Hole #14 - Par 4 - 414 Yards

Another decent drive for me, in the middle of the fairway.  It left me about 165 yards to the pin, and then I hit a super fat 6 iron that ended up in the rough short and left of the green.  My pitch hit the green and rolled over and my chip coming back was disgustingly short.  A two-putt from 24 feet closed the hole with a double bogey.

Hole #15 - Par 5 - 483 Yards

I hit a low, running tee shot that ran up into a fairway bunker.  I had no shot at anything, so I decided to hit a 4 iron out and lay up.  From there, I had a 9 iron (again) left to the pin, but it faded off target and found a greenside bunker.  My shot out of there was a bit long and ended up on the back fringe.  I putted from there, but killed it 18 feet beyond the hole and needed 2 putts for another double bogey.

Hole #16 - Par 4 - 390 Yards

I got away with a fairly poor tee shot here.  It went right on me, but stayed in the fairway.  It left me with about 120 to the hole, which is typically a 9 iron, but the wind was in our face, so I went with a punchy 8 iron.  It stayed low and hit the green, sticking about 16 feet shy of the hole.  My birdie putt ran over the right edge and I tapped in for par.

Hole #17 - Par 4 - 360 Yards

My drive caught the left side of the fairway, leaving me a good angle to the pin, but being uphill, it was a tough shot.  My 9 iron was short and right (as every 9 iron before it had been).  I chipped up to about 8 feet and couldn't do anything with that, three-putting for a frustrating triple bogey.

Hole #18 - Par 4 - 422 Yards

This hole was playing tough, directly into the wind.  My drive was left and kicked off a slope into a hazard.  I dropped and then punched a 5 iron into the fairway, leaving me about 100 yards to the pin.  I flat-out shanked my gap wedge from there, leaving me with no option but to punch a 6 iron over the marsh and across the green.  I pitched to about 15 feet and two-putted to close out with a quadruple bogey 8.

** NOTE - Just like on the front side, I hadn't played overly well... especially considering I started the back with par - par - birdie.  The 48 I posted should have been significantly better.  My goal for the tournament for the back will be a 42 which would give me a total of 88.  I think that would be decent, but I see someone from C Flight shooting a low 80's score to win it.  I guess we'll see then!

Round Stats

  • Score - 102
  • Penalty Strokes - 8
  • Putts - 35
  • Fairways - 7 of 14
  • Greens in Regulation - 4 of 18
  • Up and Downs - 2 of 5
  • Sand Saves - 0 of 3

No comments:

Post a Comment